Karl Liebknecht street, 26
This stone building was constructed in 1820 by postmaster Gavrila Laishevsky. Initially it was a dwelling house and hotel for travellers and postal workers. In 1830 the house was sold to Gavrila Kachka, a prominent mining specialist, and his family. They belonged to a very significant social circle of mining engineers but in the 1880’s the Kachkas left the house and dispersed all over the country.
It then served as a tavern and belonged to Vikenty A. Poklevskih-Kozell. He had a retail monopoly on alcohol in the Urals; he even finished the family-name abbreviation PK with a crown and turned it into a brand — Potatory King. After the revolution, the house was nationalized and became a block of communal flats. In 1939 the Memorial Museum of the famous local resident, Yakov Sverdloff, was opened in the building. A new life for the museum began in 1992 when it was re-organized as the Ekaterinburg Museum of History.
Хотите поддержать проект, и познакомиться с достопримечательностями Екатеринбурга? Тогда закажите у нас экскурсию :)